At Mis Amigos Preschool, we have a set of core values and principles that guide all our decisions. We believe that it makes us truly unique from any other childcare center. We work hard to ensure that we maintain the same high quality regardless of the Mis Amigos school your child attends through intensive training, documented processes and weekly inspections by our executive team. We believe we are one team and not any one piece of the puzzle is more important than the others.
Our mission is to “give children the world,” but we can’t do that without amazing teachers who are willing to share their language and culture with the children in our school. Our first priority is the children, but the well-being of our teachers is nearly as important!
Our core values are:
- Respeto – We treat all people, especially our children and our staff, with respect.
- Compañerismo – Every person is an important part of the team. We help and support each other.
- Positivismo – We have a positive mindset and try to make the best of every situation
- Profesionalismo – We give our staff opportunities to grow.
- Integridad – We act with integrity and transparency in all we do. We follow the rules.
Our guiding principles are:
- 100% immersion – We aren’t just a bilingual daycare. We are also actively teaching Spanish through our curriculum and all day long.
- Healthy food matters – Most schools say they ‘natural and organic’ foods but it’s unclear what that means exactly. We make smart food choices for our students.
- Reusing resources – We don’t have the newest buildings and equipment because we believe in reusing the resources that we have to prevent waste and promote sustainability for our planet.
- Teacher/Child connections We know that if our teachers are well taken care of, they are better able to take care of your children.
Our curriculum is:
- An engaging teaching framework developed by our teachers since 2001 that meets all the developmental standards for each age group.
- Each month, we focus on a kid-friendly theme like Life in the Sea, a color, a celebration, and a Spanish-speaking country.
- Every week, our music teachers provide a special music and movement class that reinforces what they are learning in the curriculum.
- We have lesson plans for every week for two years that rotate. Every age group has a lesson plan that is appropriate for the age of the children in the classroom.
Mission and Vision
“Giving Children the World”
We understand that most parents feel both excitement and trepidation about choosing a preschool for their child. We feel honored that you have chosen Mis Amigos for your family and consider it a privilege to be a part of your child’s education journey.
Each day, we aim to create an atmosphere that will encourage and empower your child with a love of learning. Our staff have created an exclusive curriculum based on years of training, experiences, and expertise that includes varied thematic learning activities and opportunities—all based in play– so that your child’s brain is constantly fed and never gets bored. We’re dedicated to building social & emotional skills as well as Kindergarten readiness, too. And it all just happens to be in Spanish!
But our school isn’t just about academics. Parents and staff alike emphasize our loving, nurturing, and supportive environment. It’s more than a school—it’s a school family. We celebrate with each other and we rally around each other. We grow closer in the hallways day by day and with family events throughout the year. With the help of our Parent Advisory Board, we work together to provide each child and their family with the best experience possible.
Learning another language is a gift you give your child. We believe (and research proves) learning a foreign language at a young age brings life-long benefits which extend far beyond the realm of language learning itself.* And at Mis Amigos, you’re not just giving your child another language, you’re giving them the world! Each week, we learn about different cultures and themes. We’re learning how we are different and how we are the same in the most natural and fun ways.
We love our school and our school family. So it’s no surprise to us that we have a 4-star Parent Aware rating (the highest possible!) and are accredited by the NAEYC. Please contact us to set up a tour or discuss why our school is just right for your family.
Why should our family start immersion at the preschool level?
Research tells us that young children have an extraordinary capability to absorb another language. Experts estimate that by age 8-12, humans have already lost the ability to hear and say new sounds. Young brains are innately designed to acquire language. By taking advantage of the window of opportunity that exists between birth and adolescence, you allow your child to optimize his or her learning potential and speak the second language with a native accent. In addition to this benefit, studies show that young children who learn a second language enjoy many additional cognitive benefits, such as enhanced problem-solving skills, enhanced spatial relation skills, and heightened creativity. When children feel safe, comfortable, and enjoy their environment, they absorb their surroundings and learn naturally, without even realizing it.
- 2021: Mis Amigos was one of the first childcare centers to be offered the Covid-19 vaccine in Minnesota. 100% of our staff are fully vaccinated. We require it of all our staff to protect our community and the children in our care.
- 2020: Mis Amigos kept its doors open throughout the pandemic while adding many new safety protocols for students and staff.
- 2019: Mis Amigos Golden Valley opened, which will eventually be licensed for 150 and has corporate offices. We purchased a new building in Chaska.
- 2018: Mis Amigos St. Paul moved into the new building on Randolph Ave.; Minnetonka location closed after losing the lease.
- 2017: Mis Amigos purchases it’s first building.
- 2015: Mis Amigos Hopkins begins to provide childcare for infants.
- 2013: All three Mis Amigos locations are accredited by NAEYC.
- 2012: Begin to provide childcare for toddlers at the Hopkins location. Mis Amigos welcomes Lori Semke as Executive Director. Dawn Uribe becomes the CEO.
- 2011: Mis Amigos Minnetonka opens.
- 2010: Mis Amigos St. Paul opens.
- 2009: Mis Amigos begins to provide full-day care for their students.
- 2005: When the founders are ready to move to other projects, Dawn purchases Mis Amigos and becomes the Director.
- 2004: Mis Amigos moves to Hopkins, MN. Dawn Uribe (current owner) begins her journey with Mis Amigos as her oldest son attends preschool.
- 2001: Mis Amigos was founded by two stay-at-home moms (former elementary school teachers) in Plymouth, MN who wanted to provide preschool in Spanish for their own kids. They began by offering half-day preschool only.